- Keeps minutes of meetings of school council and the school community or arranges for minutes to be kept, if unable to attend
- Maintains a complete set of minutes, Bylaws and any policies passed by the council or school community. A set of these materials shall be available at the school for examination without charge by any person.
- Participates in communicating information from council to the school community
- Ensures that agendas and minutes are posted in the school and on-line in an area accessible to the school community
- Ensures that an annual report is prepared and disseminates and participates in its creation. The annual report will summarize the council’s activities.
- Liaise with the incoming Chairs to ensure smooth transition
Notes – Constitution of Council is the Ontario Regulation 612/00 (Education Act – the law). By-laws add detail. The current By-laws are dated September 2010, revised Feb 2011 (section 8.0 revoked). In addition Council currently has one formalized Policy, dated Feb 2011, covering Budget Planning. NB – The Regulation is the law, and always supersedes any By-law or Policy. – While there are a lot of rules and regulations around school councils, this past year Council expressed the desire to operate less formally. The reality is that many members don’t have the time or interest to read minutes, regulations and other technical or lengthy documents. There is often limited time and indeed patience for technical discussions. It is the challenge of the Secretary and other members of the Executive to uphold the spirit and intention underlying policies, etc., while at the same time remaining practical so that things get done, and being sensitive to the kind of atmosphere desired by the majority of members.